Snort mailing list archives

Re: hardware setup for snort

From: "Keith W. McCammon" <mccammon () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:21:21 -0400

What you're describing is an in-line setup:

ISP -> Router -> Snort -> Firewall

This is possible using the two-NIC configuration that you describe.
And if you plan to deploy some type of active response, this setup is
required, to allow Snort (or some add-on) to reset malicious
connections.

A less intrusive alternative, however, would be the use of a network
tap, which is capable of relaying Firewall <-> Router traffic, while
sending a copy to your sensor.  There are a couple of advantages to
using taps:

- On a busy network, adding another routing device may affect
performance.  Taps, in general, introduce very little latency, if any.
 They're just relays.

- If that routing device dies--and a server-based sensor is probably
more likely to die than a dedicated routing appliance--you have to
manage a hot-spare, or cut the sensor out of the loop to return to
service.  If the tap dies, network performance is uninterrupted--you
lose some sensor data, but your network is up.