Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and packet sniffing

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:59:03 -0400

At 11:35 AM 8/19/2004, Dean Price wrote:

I know of ethereal, tcpdump, and of course snort...

Another question for anyone on the list, I was informed that snort will also
show me the contents of an email message ( in source format ).

That's completely bogus information. snort has absolutely no capacity to do this kind of thing, and has no use for such a function. It's an IDS, not a mail-intercept tool.

Perhaps you really wanted dsniff.

Be aware of the legalities of your actions however, in some places capturing email contents like that could be considered a wiretap and subject to various laws about notifying affected parties of the capture of data. I'm not a lawyer, so my advice is just suggest you should check up on your local laws to CYA.