Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and tools overview

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:31:16 +0100

--On 20 August 2004 12:10 +0200 Thomas Zauner <Thomas_Zauner () bayern-mail de> wrote:

updated snort-tools-diagram today

http://62.245.250.125/snort.png

mudpit <http://fidelissecurity.com/techtalk/mudpit.asp> and FLoP <http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP/> are alternatives to barnyard with different advantages and disadvantages. I've been using mudpit until now, but plan to use FLoP in my next deployment. FLoP can log entire sessions with the corresponding alert(s) in the SQL database for later extraction (requires a modified schema and a tool included in the FLoP distribution).

Snortcenter2 can be found at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/snortcenter2/>. I recommend using the snortcenter-console-patch branch of the CVS tree for 2.0.6 and newer versions of Snort. Attempting to use older versions of snortcenter will result in damaged rules.

OSSIM <http://www.ossim.net> integrates alerts from Snort with those from other tools including p0f and ntop and probably deserves a mention. The OSSIM snort src.rpm includes an updated version of the SPADE patch which appears to work with Snort 2.2.0.

HTH,
Alex.