Snort mailing list archives

Taps and 10/100 hubs

From: "Mike Lieberman" <Mike () netwright net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:56:55 -0600

We are still working out how we will deploying our first IDS server. In all
the scenarios discussed, I didn't see the following:

Using the passive tap documented in http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/

Router <----------------[passive tap]------>switch
(10Mb,Half-Duplex)    [host, A, B, Host]
                            /   \
                           /     \
                          /       \
                         /         \
       (10Mb,Half-Duplex)           (10Mb,Half-Duplex)
                        \           /
                         \         /
                          \       /
                           \     /
                            \   /
                       Hub [4 PORT 10/100]
                    [example, NETGEAR DS104]

                           100Mb NIC
                             Snort

Netgear claims the hub has an "intelligent bridge automatically manages
network traffic..." since two half-duplex feeds are going into the hub and
the IDS is connected via a 100Mb NIC, doesn't that solve to a significant
extent the collission problem? Since we would only be monitoring the
bandwith coming to and from the router at 10Mb hald-duplex, I don't see
where we get into buffer issues.

Since I can't believe I have this right, what am I missing?