Snort mailing list archives

Memory "Leakage" Snort 2.2.0 - Windows?

From: "John Steele" <johnsteele () insyte com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:40:15 -0500

Has anyone experienced significant memory "leakage" with snort 2.2.0
under Windows 2000 Server? We installed 2.2 on a 2000 machine last week
and have been having a number of shutdowns where the system reports that
there is no memory available for processes, including user logons. (We
have been running Snort 1.8 under Windows NT 4.0 for some time now
without a problem)

We think we can verify that it is Snort. If we monitor the 'non-paged'
pool usage it starts out at about 10,000 KB and gradually grows until it
reaches as high as 80,000 KB. In this range the we begin to get error
messages about non-paged pool usage. If at any time we stop/restart the
Snort service the non-paged pool drops immediately back to the 13,000
range and processes return to normal.

We can reproduce this cycle consistently. As a work around we have our
network monitoring tool checking the non-paged pool on the machine
running Snort. When the pool reaches 60,000 KB the monitor program
stops/starts Snort. Doing this things seem to have settled down for now.

John Steele
jrs_listsubs <*> insyte <*> com

Greater love hath no man than he should lay down his life for another.
Greater contempt is due no man than he should lay down another's life
for his own