Snort mailing list archives

Re: Detection Plug-Ins

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:11:59 -0500

At 06:37 PM 12/12/2004, Adam Cavaliere wrote:
Hello,

I am reading through the Syngress book, Snort 2.1. I just finished up reading about the Detection plug-ins and am a little worried if this might be too much for me. I do not have a lot of experience programming, some but not much. So do many people feel that there is a need to write your own detection plugin, or are there many out there to use?

I'm not aware of anybody that writes their own detection plugins. Perhaps a few more obscure sites are doing so, but I'm not aware of anyone on this list ever mentioning that they did write their own plugin. Most just use the ones that come prebundled with snort.

The only add-on plugin I've seen used, ever, is SPADE, which is a probability based scan detector. Unfortunately, with the transfer of Silicon Defense's snort tools to Demarc, the SPADE plugin has fell into disrepair for a while. Quite unfortunate, as in my experience and opinion, SPADE is the most powerful tool snort's ever had available to it. Fortunately, it looks like someone's recently picked back up on it:

http://www.computersecurityonline.com/spade/