Snort mailing list archives

reading tcpdump file

From: "Edward Young" <ey52 () columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:22:33 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to read a tcpdump file into snort. For some reason, it seems that some of the tcp packets are being ignored for some reason. The only reason I can think of is because the tcpdump file only captured at most 96 bytes of each frame.

The only rule I have in my config file is "alert tcp any any -> any any" and these are the results that I get:

Snort processed 37298 packets.
Breakdown by protocol:
   TCP: 32827      (88.013%)
   UDP: 475        (1.274%)
  ICMP: 32         (0.086%)
   ARP: 3176       (8.515%)
 EAPOL: 0          (0.000%)
  IPv6: 4          (0.011%)
   IPX: 7          (0.019%)
 OTHER: 531        (1.424%)
DISCARD: 246        (0.660%)
Action Stats:
ALERTS: 32621
LOGGED: 32621
PASSED: 0

Where do those remaining 206 packets go? They are tcp so why aren't they logged? I'm thinking that those 206 frames are the frames that are incomplete.

Thanks,

Edward Young