Snort mailing list archives

Re: Thresholding and suppression

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:43:41 -0500

--On Thursday, October 14, 2004 04:37:07 PM -0500 Lance Boon <lboon () firststatebanksw com> wrote:

I've run into something strange when using the threshold.conf file, if I
try to:

suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 716, track by_src, ip x.x.x.x

all alerts that are generated for telnet access to that specific ip
address are suppressed as expected, but if I try to telnet to a jet
direct box I would think that alerts should be generated for that sig as
the ip addressis different but I don't see any alerts generated...
Everything else is working correctly I'm using snort 2.2/latest
ruleset/barnyard 0.2.0. I've got my home net set to x.x.x.x/20 and var
EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET with an ip in the var TELNET_SERVERS [x.x.x.x]
Am I just missing something?

Please post the entire rule.  It makes life much easier.

alert tcp $TELNET_SERVERS 23 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"TELNET access"; flow:from_server,established; content:"|FF FD|"; rawbytes; content:"|FF FD|"; distance:0; rawbytes; content:"|FF FD|"; distance:0; rawbytes; reference:arachnids,08; reference:cve,1999-0619; reference:nessus,10280; classtype:not-suspicious; sid:716; rev:12;)

Without suppression, this rule will only trigger if the src host is listed in you var TELNET_SERVERS. So this rule will *never* trigger on the jet direct box *unless* you've included its IP in the var, no matter what you suppress. Since you stated "with an ip in the var", I assume that means the jet direct's ip is not in the var? Based on your response, that you changed the var from a single IP to $HOME_NET, this appears to be what your problem was.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member