Snort mailing list archives

RE: increase packet size capture problem

From: "Keith Pachulski" <keithp () corp ptd net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:33:26 -0400

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node16.html#SECTION00426000000000000000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Starin [mailto:jeffs () speakeasy net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 11:28 AM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] increase packet size capture problem

I have a rule that captures outgoing data and logs to a seperate file.  Problem is that the data is truncated.  That
is, not all the data is captured.  I am aware of the -P option to modify snaplen and also of "session" modifier, but
changing these values doesn't seem to work -- I always end up with my outgoing data truncated.  I'm presuming that the
data that is truncated is being put into a subsequent outing going packet and the alert that generates the first
capture cannot say, "Hey, also capture all associated packets."  But I figured that's what the "session" keyword is
for, but using it doesn't seem to help.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

bulgin