Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort use of memory

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 08:45:27 +0000

--On 01 November 2004 15:24 -0500 Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:

At 10:16 AM 11/1/2004, Larry Wichman wrote:
I added more memory to one of my Snort boxes but Snort
does not seem to want to use it. I thought there was a
doc somewhere that says how to tell Snort to use more
memory. Can anyone point me to the doc. I looked
through the archives and FAQs and did not see
anything.

Erm.. Why do you even want snort to consume more memory?

Snort's not a cached and buffered system.

It can be, if you link it against Phil Woods' libpcap <http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/>, which improves performance of sniffing applications such as Snort, by allocating user-definable ring buffers.

Best Regards,
Alex.