Snort mailing list archives

Re: Off topic...how does DSL reports and the like test speed...someth ing I can use myself?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:55:49 -0500

At 09:13 AM 11/10/2004, Jason Humes wrote:
So we are looking for a way to test various customers throughput and so far
we cant find anything which will test throughput without having to install
an agent (or something like that) at each customer site.  How does DSL
Reports or similar sites perform their speed testing?  Does anyone know of
software like that which I could run on our servers and have our clients run
the speed tests themselves, to our sites?  We need some sort of throughput
test which does not require the use of agents on both sides of the link.
Any ideas.  Thanks.

I don't know of any freebies that don't involve agents on both ends, but I can explain how most of the sites out there work.

Most of these work by giving the client a large image file to download and measuring how long it takes to complete on the server side.

Others use a small script which downloads a file and measures the speed on the client side.

As examples:
cnet's tool uses an image file:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4002-6548_7-5118991.html

http://www.beelinebandwidthtest.com/ uses a shockwave flash application that downloads 175k of data. I presume it measures the time on the client side in the flash code.

Of course, most of these tests are fairly prone to wild variation. I ran three tests on cnet's site, the first was absurdly slow (300k) and the other two indicated t1 class bandwidth. Tests at two other sites indicated t1 and 110% of t1 (The link here is a bit odd, but the actual sustained bandwidth is about 30% higher than a t1).