Snort mailing list archives

Re: Acid shows sensors as 0

From: jacques brierre <jbrierre () bellsouth net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:19:16 -0500

you can also avoid the screen dump of alerts and go directly for the count.

mysql> select COUNT(*) from event;
+----------+
| COUNT(*) |
+----------+
|    42991 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

-jb

Senthil Prabu.S wrote:

I run a GFI scan against snort machine from another computer and still
ACID shows nothing on its interface (it keeps showing Sensors 0).

I have only one network card installed in my Fedora machine which
enters in promiscuous mode (I can tell from the system logs) when
snort starts.

As I said before, MySql i running, snort connects to it, Snort is
running ( I followed all the instruction of this guide
http://www.snort.org/docs/Snort_SSL_FC2.pdf for fedora c2)

Everything seems ok to me except the fact that there is no data showing on ACID.

What is going on ?

Please helppppppppppppppppppp.

Hi,
 [a]. Are you sure snort is creating alerts and log messages?
Once you stop snort running on foreground,u will see a drop-down menu
listing snort activites,there you can find the count of alerts and logs generated
by snort.Or checkout at log directory for latest alerts and logs

 [b]. Do u have the following line in your snort configuration file

"output database: log, mysql, user=root password=test dbname=db host=localhost".
If yes,get into ur mysql database,execute following commands,

mysql> use snort;
Database changed
mysql> select * from event;
.
.
8348 rows in set (0.46 sec)

you will find a list of events from snort.This confirms that Snort have logged datas to
database.
If everything works well then I bet you ACID will bring them into your browser.

--
Senthil Prabu.S

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.