Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-inline vs. SnortSam

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:04:59 -0600

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 09:03 -0500, Adam Kennedy wrote:
What I'm trying to do is figure out what method is easiest/best for
automatically blocking traffic snort picks up. I've used snortsam
before, but re-writing all the rules gets annoying.

Well, you don't want to rewrite "all the rules". I don't recommend you
block blindly on all rules, unless you really want to shoot yourself in
the foot. I highly recommend blocking only on carefully selected rules.

Instead of modifying the rules, you can add the sid and block options
into the sid-block.map file. (See README.rules)

Regards,
Frank