Snort mailing list archives

Unknown keyword '' in rule! (BUG?)

From: Alejandro Flores <alejandrorflores () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:56:04 -0300

Hello,

I don't know if this was checked before, but...
If a rule has an additional ';' snort will fail with:
Unknown keyword '' in rule!
example:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"SCAN FIN";
flags:F,12; flow:stateless; reference:arachnids,27;
classtype:attempted-recon; sid:621; ; rev:6;)
IMHO, snort must check if the option is not null, before it attempt to
discover what kind of option is that. If snort can't parse a rule, it
should warn the user and discard that rule only, and not fail.
I'm not an expert C programmer, but I think it's very easy to fix it
in 'parsec.c' function ParseRuleOptions.

Regards,
Alejandro Flores