Snort mailing list archives

Re: dropping packets

From: "Lawrence Reed" <Lawrence.Reed () noaa gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:26:29 +0000

Hugo wrote:
It seems like I'm on a high traffic volume network and will probably need tp upgrade my libpcap to mmap, unfortunately, I
haven't got much success. I don't understand how to get Snort to use the new libpcap. Any pointers would be appreciated.
I wonder how the sourcefire products solve this problem?

Hugo

I assume you mean the libpcap from Phil Wood ( thanks Phil).
I build snort with the pcap libraries linked in statically as follows:

LDFLAGS=-static ./configure --with-libpcap-libraries=/path/to/philwood/pcap --with-libpcap-includes=/path/to/philwood/pcap

I also set the environment variable PCAP_FRAMES.
I use export PCAP_FRAMES=max in my snort startup script.

Using unified logging, a full ruleset, the above referenced pcap on a dual 2.8Ghz Xeon I have < 0.005% drops with traffic in excess of 300Mbs.

Larry