Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging retransmitted pkts.

From: Mike Mestnik <cheako911 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:33:34 -0800 (PST)

--- Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:

At 03:51 AM 1/29/2005, Mike Mestnik wrote:
The only thing I can really do is log retransmitted pkts.  Luckily I'm
only interested in TCP, so retransmitted pkts should be easy to spot.
The
problem is I have seen many program to monitor TCP flows(iptraf,
tcpdump,
potion) but non of them have an easy way to count duplicates.

Erm, why not just use netstat -s on the sending box (works on windows
and *nix)

Done, this is just a hack IMHO.  The big problem is it done not, and has
no way to, count bytes or bytes/second.

Trying to track retransmitted packets from a sniffer would be slightly
tricky, as you'd have to create a live windowed database of all the
previous packets. Certainly this isn't likely to be related to a network

I see this as being one more field in the connection tble for the current
end of the window.  If we see data less then this number it's old data
being sent again.

attack, so snort isn't going to have much in the way of facilities built
in
to detect this. You might be able to hack stream4 to do this, but you'd
almost certianly have to go in and modify its code to do so.

Also, in the case of TCP retransmissions will be relatively few, due to
TCP's congestion avoidance algorithm. As soon as one packet gets
dropped,
TCP should back its sending rate down to avoid future drops. Thus you
really shouldn't see more than one or two drops per socket open, and for

http://train.is-a-geek.org/mrtg/retransmited.html
I think, for my network, this is not true.  The problem is if there are
more then 3 or 4(I.E. n) connections, the rate of slow start is (RATE *
n).  This leads to more then half the connections getting the 3 droped
pkts nessisary to half the connection speed.  Then slow start rate is
(RATE * n / 2) for about 3 or 4 seconds.  After this the rest of the
connections follow suit and drop to half and some of the others goto 1/4
of there would be bandwith alotment.

The end result is the total used BW is about 1/3 of total avalible.

short sessions, 0.

---------
TCP Statistics for IPv4

   Active Opens                        = 851
   Passive Opens                       = 1
   Failed Connection Attempts          = 0
   Reset Connections                   = 4
   Current Connections                 = 8
   Segments Received                   = 28023
   Segments Sent                       = 18778
   Segments Retransmitted              = 39