Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.3

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 08:42:27 +1300

SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com> writes:

Ha! If you don't have time to "patch manually" you don't have time
to try and "trim down" a distro. The point is you don't need to
patch and you don't need any newer OS, especially if you're just
going to "trim it down" anyways. Besides, those OSes you mentioned
aren't going to trim down very much, what with all that gui and junk
that comes with it. Many people here probably don't patch their
Snort boxes at all. I don't. It has ACL'd access per host, I don't
need to worry about patching every other day and wondering, "Now
what options did I last compile that with?" !!  "Oh now everything's
broke!...etc"

AFAIK you can install any of the major modern distro's (Fedora, Red
Hat, Debian) without X and without GUIs. I'm trying to keep up with
100Mbit/s upwards and believe me, a basic 600Mb Fedora Core 3 install
doesn't make that much difference either way.

You can bet I keep all my IDS sensors up to date with patches; that is
SOP for any box that can receive any kind of IP traffic, ACLs or
no. What happens if someone compromises a box that is allowed to send
to that host?

--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer