Snort mailing list archives

Re: Performance: Streaming Media

From: Chris Keladis <chris () cmc optus net au>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:06:33 +1100

Jose Maria Lopez wrote:

El vie, 04 de 02 de 2005 a las 23:05, Rudi Starcevic escribió:

I have a Linux machine which does mostly www service and port forwarding for mms service ( Window Media Server )

If I install snort on the the Linux machine do you think the filtering of packets will affect the forwarding for streaming media ?

The answer to your question depends on the rules you have,
the preprocessors you use and much more things. Best you
can do it's try it and do your own measures. That's the
only way to see if it affects your traffic or not.

Also, if your not interested in Snort seeing the streaming media, affecting performance, you could exclude it via a BPF filter. (see snort man page).

But Jose is right, there are many variables as to if it will impact your server or not.

Regards,

Chris.