Snort mailing list archives

Re: suppresing events from privat lan

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:42:51 -0500

At 04:22 PM 2/16/2005, hans wrote:
i want to suppress all events from my private lan,
which has ip-adr 172.20.x.y  ( rfc 1918 )
reading http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node13.html
i see gen_id and sig_id are required
are there wildcards ?

Don't do it that way..  suppress is really intended to fix one or two rules..

Instead, set EXTERNAL_NET to be !$HOME_NET.. this will take care of the majority of them.

The few remaining rules you can use suppress, or you can take things to an extreeme and use a bpf statement on the snort command line to prevent snort from seeing the packets at all. (the bp filter format is the same one used by the tcpdump command line)

question 2: what are AIM_SERVERS in my snort.config

The list of AOL instant messenger servers for the AIM detection rules.