Snort mailing list archives

Re: BreachView SSL -- add-on to IDS sensor to decrypt SSL traffic

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:28:50 -0500

At 10:32 AM 1/6/2005, Maria Lucas wrote:
Hi Matt

I am checking to see if you have a need for a product to decrypt SSL traffic on your IDS sensor without terminating the session? We are compatible with Windows 2000 and Linux platforms.

Snort list: FYI, another list miner is in action.

Maria:

No I do not require such a product.

I also severely frown on people mining the snort-users mailing list and using my address from there for solicitation. I consider your message to me address harvested spam and nothing more. The message is unsolicted, commercial, and a solicitation.

I ask that you never use this address again, and any further solicitations from breach.com will be treated as spam with malicious intent. This will result in network abuse complaints being sent to your mailserver host, that server's upstream ISP, and the host of your website, and their upstream.

The practice of mining snort-users has also been publicly criticized by list members, and the list moderators have prohibited this practice. Check the list archives. (Basically, Marty weighed in when applied watch was doing the same thing. His company runs the list, and they don't mine it and advertise to subscribers, therefore nobody else should.)

Please see:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2004-05/0229.html

and
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2004-05/0259.html

Both of which resulted from Applied Watch spamming list members off-list.