Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rogue system detection

From: Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:16:29 -0700

I have a question that's not necessarily a snort thing, but I have no idea
what other list to ask, so here goes.  What are people using out there for
rogue system detection?  I'm trying to figure out how to passively detect
when a 'new' system comes online in the local network and possibly detect
the os and such.  I imagine the tool would have to be able to match MAC
addresses to deal with changing addresses and DHCP, along with report/alert
when something new comes online.  Maybe RNA?

        We use 'arpwatch' for this purpose.  It will send an email notification
        when it sees a new MAC address or sees an IP-MAC pair change.

        We also modified arpwatch, for our internal use, to report to a database
        so that the current MAC address table for a given network can be
monitored
        through a web interface.

        Having the info in a database also makes it practical to use a MAC
address
        whitelist for the DHCP server.  This gets you two things:

                if the MAC address is not known, no IP address is handed out
                by the DHCP server.

                a given MAC address is always given the same IP address, making
                auditing easier.

Skip

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter           Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Network Security Services   email: skip () taygeta net