Snort mailing list archives

Re: Testing Snort with Blade IDS Informer

From: Holger Mense <holger () project2501 de>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:07:18 +0200

* Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>:

However, I was a bit disappointed about the results. Besides the back
orifice  and the two portscan attempts, my sensor didn't detect anything
else of the  remaining 7 attacks provided by IDS Informer.

In detail it didn't detect
- TCP DNS Zone Transfer

I get these routinely.  Something has to be wrong with your config.  I'm
also running snort 2.3.2.

I get routinely UPD DNS Zone Transfers.

- Smurf DOS attempt
- finger search
- IIS Unicode Traps
- IIS htr Buffer Overflow
- rpc.statd exploit
- traceroute attempt

All of these have trigged from time to time on our network.  Something is
wrong with the config you're using.

I am not sure about this. Unfortunatley my network isn't large enough so that
it gets attacked regulary.

Have you tested your sensor with IDS Informer?

Thanks,
Holger

--
Holger Mense