Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stream/Packet Capture with Snort

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 20:15:12 -0400

Paul Melson wrote:

I'm using one of my Snort sensors (v2.3.2 w/ flexresp) to monitor, among
other things, outbound e-mail traffic.  Right now I am logging to a MySQL
database and can view the offending packet data on a per-alert basis.  In
the case of e-mail traffic, packet captures of lengthy messages (say those
with MIME attachments) don't always include the message headers.

Hello Paul,

Have you considered just logging port 25 TCP traffic with Tcpdump?=20
Putting packets in a database (especially lots of packets) is a bad
idea, IMHO, despite that fact that plenty of vendors do it.  Leaving
traffic in pcap format gives you more options to process whatever you
collect.

On a related note, since you mentioned database logging -- are you
using Barnyard or another Snort output spool reader, or are you asking
Snort to make MySQL inserts?  Not using Barnyard or an equivalent is a
real performance killer.

Sincerely,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com