Snort mailing list archives

reference tags: snort, bleeding sigs, database plugin,MySQL, BASE, somebody!

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:22:09 -0400

This may very well be a "known problem" or "not a bug, it's a feature", but I thought I would point out this little
annoyance...

Using the above combination, the resulting BASE alert displays the message text from the rule, and prefixes it with URL links for
the reference tags (url, buqtraq, cve, etc).  However, many of them are *NOT* properly linked with URL links, only the reference
type "word" and no link.

For example (using text, not pasting html, so bear with me), the bleeding-sig 2000900, which I'll twist around so the
exact spacing of the reference tags are clear:

alert udp $HOME_NET 3531 -> $EXTERNAL_NET 3531
msg: "BLEEDING-EDGE Malware JoltID Agent Probing or Announcing UDP"; reference: url,www.joltid.com; reference: url,forum.treweeke.com/lofiversion/index.php/t597.html; classtype: trojan-activity; reference:url,securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware/p2pnetworking.html;
sid: 2000900; rev:3; )

This is rendered in BASE with:

[url] url url[snort] BLEEDING-EDGE Malware JoltID Agent Probing or Announcing UDP

Only the first [url] is really a hyperlink.  The other two urls are, well, just the word url.  The rendered html from
BASE shows:

<TD>&nbsp;&nbsp;
<FONT SIZE=-1>[
<A HREF="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware/p2pnetworking.html";
TARGET="_ACID_ALERT_DESC">url</A>]</FONT>  url url
<FONT SIZE=-1>[
<A HREF="http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=2000900"; TARGET="_ACID_ALERT_DESC">snort</A>]</FONT>
BLEEDING-EDGE Malware JoltID Agent Probing or Announcing UDP
</TD>

Apparently the reference: tags are pushed out in the opposite order they appear in the rule, but I don't care what order they
come in.  I just want the hyperlinks to survive intact - the 'url' words without a real hyperlink also drop any semblance of
the original reference.

What appears to cause this is the presence or absence of a space between the "reference:" in the rule and the reference type.  e.g.,
'reference:url,www.foo.bar' works, 'reference: url,www.foo.bar' fails.

So I'm not sure who is at fault here :-)  It shows up in BASE.  But the underlying alert database is also at fault --
we find the reference types appear twice(!) -- once with a leading space, once without:

mysql> select * from reference_system;
+---------------+-----------------+
| ref_system_id | ref_system_name |
+---------------+-----------------+
|             1 | cve             |
|             2 | arachNIDS       |
|             3 | bugtraq         |
|             4 | url             |
|             5 | nessus          |
|             6 | McAfee          |
|             7 | cvs             |
|             8 |  url            |
|             9 |  arachnids      |
|            10 |  cve            |
|            11 |  bugtraq        |
|            12 |  mcafee         |
+---------------+-----------------+
12 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Could this be the database plugin?  The sid-message.map file is consistent, so posting to the database via Barnyard might not
have this behavior (I don't know, I don't have barnyard).

Could this be snort parsing the reference tags in the rule differently?  I don't feel up to source digging at the
moment so that one will be left as an exercise for the reader (or a comment from sourcefire :-) ).

The easy fix is to blame bleedingsnort for the occasional space after the reference: tag (which sourcefire doesn't appear to
have), but this could wreak havoc on existing databases and archives.  Doesn't particularly bother me, but might bother
someone else.

Comments?
Jeff