Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to further diagnose 'ICMP Destination Unreachable' problem?

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:13:11 +0100

--On 29 August 2005 10:11 -0700 "Chris W. Parker" <cparker () swatgear com> wrote:

I have a lot of 'ICMP Destination Unreachable Port Unreachable' alerts
(36%) and I'm wondering what I should do to diagnose and correct the
problem.

I don't know much about networking so I wasn't able to glean much
insight from the Snort website
(http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=402).

Sort by destination address (since these ICMP messages are generated in response to something that the *destination* purportedly did /previously/), and see if they are largely attributable to a single host. If they are, chances are that host was port-scanning or was being used as a decoy source address for a port scan. If not, they're probably just background noise.

For the future, I suggest using thresholding to limit the number of ICMP Destination Unreachable alerts logged, such that only a particularly noisy host causes alerts. e.g:

threshold: type both, track by_dst, count 800, seconds 600;

Thanks,
Chris.

HTH,
Alex.