Snort mailing list archives

RE: OBSD / PROMISCUOUS

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:38:34 -0400

________________________________
Subject: [Snort-users] OBSD / PROMISCUOUS

One of the 4 nics has an ip address, the others do not.

When I start up the 4 instances of snort, the nic (em0) with the ip
address shows up in
promiscuous mode, the others do not.

[snip]

How do I get the other 3 ip-less nics to run in promiscuous mode in OBSD?

It looks like em1-em3 have been brought up via ifconfig, and there's really
nothing special you should have to do to bring them into promiscuous mode.
Is this something specific to Snort, or do other sniffers (tcpdump?) behave
this way also?

PaulM