Snort mailing list archives

Snort exit status

From: sekure <sekure () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:07:17 -0400

This might have always been this way, but I just noticed that
sometimes when snort (2.4) fails to start it still returns exit status
($?) of 0.

For example, if I use a wrong or unsupported parameter on the command
line, i get exit status of 1, but if there is a problem in the config
file, exit status is 0.  Is this by design?

I didn't dive into this too deep, but one scenario where 0 is returned
is when snort can't find the rules directory.