Snort mailing list archives

RE: ATTACK-RESPONSES id check returned root

From: Our World Is Here <info () lucretia ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:03:03 -0600

That would be true...if we had a smtp server, but we don't.

None of our machines handle email, we use a third party.  So why would we
ever see this normally?  The only 25 we should see normally is outbound
directly to our real server.

But yes, we do see legit emails hitting this when we POP our mail (obviously
not with web mail clients...).

Sincerely,

James Friesen, CIO

Lucretia Enterprises
"Our World Is Here..."
Info at lucretia dot ca
http://lucretia.ca

I see this so often I've revised this sid (498 I think) to ignore
anything coming via POP port 110.  If I see it on 25 I get
worried...

Why?  If you see it on port 25, it's just incoming email.
Look at the payload.  You'll see that it's an email passing
through your stmp server.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas