Snort mailing list archives

Re: BO preproc exploit published

From: byte_jump <bytejump () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:52:26 -0600

On 10/26/05, Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:

I saw that in the release notes.  To date, my sensors have not detected any
attempts to exploit the bo preproc.  I suppose that now that there's
publicly available code that I ought to test it. ;)

PaulM

I didn't spend a ton of time on it, but I used the exploit code
against a Snort 2.4.0 Snort box with the BO preprocessor enabled.
Snort had been compiled with the SPP gcc (formerly ProPolice) and was
on a 2.4 kernel with grsecurity/PaX. It wasn't a scientific test by
any means, but the exploit did not work and seemed to fail due to
ProPolice (this is a stack-based buffer overflow). The exploit did
work against a similar server without ProPolice and grsecurity.

Honestly, I'm very disappointed that 1) Sourcefire doesn't use
ProPolice and grsecurity on their sensors, and 2) that Snort.org does
not encourage folks to use those security mechanisms, too. Those
security measures certainly seemed to work in my less-than-scientific
test.