Snort mailing list archives

Re: What tool? Fastest way to generate port info to build acl protection?

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:03:07 -0500

Wayne Turnquist wrote:

Is there a app (prefer windows app if there is one) that can be ran in sniffer mode \
on my hubs that could generate all ports being used, port-ip, port-dest-ip, etc where \
i could then quickly come up with our business model traffic pattern to create a \
baseline acl security?

Hi Wayne,

You'll need to do some hands-on analysis to generate your ACLs.

It doesn't run on Windows, but Argus [0] can generate the session data
you need.

I call the type of analysis you need to perform a "Traffic Threat
Assessment" (TTA).  I usually do that sort of work to find malicious
insiders (or malware), but the same principles apply when identifying
legitimate traffic for creating ACLs.  I outline TTA in my latest
book, Extrusion Detection: Security Monitoring for Internal
Intrusions.  [1]

You may also find my Structured Traffic Analysis (STA) methodology
outlined in the October 2005 (IN)SECURE magazine to be helpful. [2]

Both the book and article explain how to use Argus in the manner you may need.

Sincerely,

Richard

[0] http://www.qosient.com/argus/
[1] http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321349962