Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort IPv6

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:52:54 -0600

Hi Martin,

Approbation to the Sourcefire team for keeping this issue on your radar.
I googled and saw your posting back in 2002 for an initial experimental
release you made of Snort IPv6 support but never saw anything after
that. I should preface this email with the fact that the OMB has made
this a mandate for all federal agencies by June of the 2008 federal
fiscal year, which certainly puts this on the radar for quite a lot of
folks.

Will the IPv6 support in Snort be GPLed and made as a part of the
snort.org distribution or can you not comment on that this early?

I as well as our customers would be happy to provide extensive testing
for you in both 10/100 and multi-gig environments of any upcoming IPv6
experimental releases.

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1095 Pingree Road
Suite 213
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Toll Free: (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Direct: (847) 854-2725 ext:327
Fax: (847) 854-5106
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
Email: eric.hines () appliedwatch com

"Enterprise Open Source Security Management"

Martin Roesch wrote:
We have the same requirements at Sourcefire and we'll be addressing
them in Snort as soon as we can.  I think it'd be a bad idea to  rewrite
everything independent of Sourcefire because we'll be  duplicating the
work and we're likely to come up with different  solutions.

The "real answer" to this problem is to restructure Snort's decoder  (as
I've said before) so that it can gracefully handle layers/ encapsulation
in a way that's not a big retrofit over everything we  have.  That's a
big undertaking because to do it we need a new Packet  struct.  If you
grep for "Packet" in Snort's source code you'll see  this is a pretty
serious refactoring effort.

We definitely will be interested in getting feedback and testing from
the community on the implementation as it becomes available, this is  a
big change and we don't make any claims that our in-house testing  can
be as all encompassing as the the diverse operating environments  that
all of you have at your fingertips.

Anyway, stay tuned and sorry for the delay!

    -Marty