Snort mailing list archives

Re: Writing/placing custom rules

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:10:49 -0500

My recommendation is to place your custom rules in the local.rules file. If you are going to use alot of pass rules, I generally recommend making a whole different rules file called pass.rules, then place your pass rules in that file. Just make sure you include the pass.rules in your snort.conf file.

However, rather than writing alot of pass rules, I generally recommend using suppression instead of pass rules.

Check out the Snort User manual for details on suppression.

Joel