Snort mailing list archives

RE: (2.4.4 and Ubuntu on 2.6.12) Odd install from source

From: "Braley, Ron" <ron.braley () berbee com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:59:01 -0600

Rob,

In my experience, the .conf files get extracted into the installation
directory/etc (i.e. /usr/local/src/snort-2.4.4/etc).

Not only should you see the snort.conf file there, but threshold.conf
too.

I think library files are put in the proper locations during the
installation process - there's no need to do anything else but the
following:

a.  Put the executable file wherever you'd like it to be (/opt/snort/bin
for us . . .)
b.  Copy the snort.conf file from the extraction point/etc to wherever
you'd like it to be (i.e. /opt/snort/etc/)
c.  Download the rules and include this directory in the snort.conf file
d.  Start snort (manually or automatically) - remember to include the
location of the snort.conf file in the command (i.e.
#/opt/snort/bin/snort -i eth5 -c /opt/snort/etc/snort.conf -D

Hope that helps!

Ron Braley, Berbee
Datacenter Security Engineer