Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort loosing connection to Mysql

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:27:17 +0200

Hi,

I have just upgraded my snort binary to 2.4.4, which is logging to a remote
Mysql Database.
For patching reasons, the Mysql host is being rebooted every week and before
the upgrade the snort binary would re-conenct to the DB without any
problems, once the box was back up and running.

probably you changed the version of the MySQL database. The old behaviour
(MySQL 4.x) did automatically a reconnect whereas this is disabled with
the newer versions.

But just for this reason I would choose another way to insert the alerts
in the database, there are several solutions available and you will not
loose any alert during the database is rebooted. (And it is even better
for the performance, the database access via the output plugin slows
down snort and you may miss some packets...)

Best regards

Dirk Geschke

BTW: Are you living in world far away? Or why shows the email a date of
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:37:20 +0100 and the email arrives here at a date of
Wed, 10 May 2006 23:44:00 +0200? Three weeks for delivery?