Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to setup inline

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:42:56 -0500

Mike,

What is your throughput? If you are pushing more than 200M I would say
recompile your kernel with pf_ring 3 (which will give you a large ring
buffer) and put a large amount of more RAM in there for it -- I'd say
4GB of memory if you can.

Here is a snippit regarding some stuff on pf_ring
http://www.ntop.org/PF_RING.html

- ---------- snip ------------

Who needs PF_RING?

Basically everyone who has to handle many packets per second. The term
'many' changes according to the hardware you use for traffic analysis.
It can range from 20k pkt/sec on a i486, to 500k pkt/sec on a Pentium
IV. PF_RING not only enables you to capture packets faster, it also
captures packets more efficiently preserving CPU cycles. Just to give
you some figures you can see how fast nProbe, a NetFlow v5/v9 probe, can
go using PF_RING.

- ---------- snip ------------

- ---------- snip ------------
"I did this test a year ago with 3.0 vs philwood vs vanilla libpcap. And
my results were similar. My app has been logging packet capture results
for almost a year on sensors capturing traffic in excess of 200
megabits/sec. vanilla libpcap taps out at about 55 megabits/sec.
philwood went up to about 80 - 120 megabits/sec depending on the
traffic. My goal was less than 5% packet loss - pf_ring 3.0 over the
last year on all sensors lost less than .1 % per sensor!"
- ---------- snip ------------

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1095 Pingree Road
Suite 213
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Toll Free: (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Direct: (847) 854-2725 ext:327
Fax: (847) 854-5106
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
Email: eric.hines () appliedwatch com

"Enterprise Open Source Security Management"

Mike Montgomery wrote:
What would the hardware requirements be on a system to run inline for
snort?  Will be using it at the headend of a WISP, with currently approx
850 customers.  I have a AMD Sempron +1800 with 1gb ram and 2 80gb hdds
setup in Raid0.
Will that be sufficient to handle the load?

Mike

Eric Hines wrote:

Mike,

Answer 1) Yes, you will want (3) NICs on your box. Pop a new NIC in
there. When you bridge it, you will have br0 for example, which will
comprise a bridge of eth1 and eth2. Make eth0 your management interface
and give it an IP.

eth0: 192.168.0.1
eth1: 0.0.0.0
eth2. 0.0.0.0

Answer 2) Snort-Inline uses netfilter, ipqueue, etc for dropping
packets. Their are numerous writeups on how to set this up.

Answer 3) Specifying which attacks are dropped is done using the drop,
sdrop, etc. keywords in the action of the individual signature.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1095 Pingree Road
Suite 213
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Toll Free: (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Direct: (847) 854-2725 ext:327
Fax: (847) 854-5106
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
Email: eric.hines () appliedwatch com

"Enterprise Open Source Security Management"

Mike Montgomery wrote:

Hello,

I recently setup a box running snort at our headend, its not inline as
of now, but its using a monitor port on a cisco 2950.  What would be the
ideal setup to put the box inline?  I currently have 2 nics in this box,
1 on the monitor port, 2nd is the nic I use to connect to the box for
console.  To go inline, would I need 3 nics total, 1 in, 1 out, and set
them to be bridged? Or what.  If I wanted snort to drop the packets for
say P2P, would snort do that by itself, or would I need to have a
firewall running to do that.  Just trying to make some sense of this.

Thanks

Mike Montgomery
Citizens Communications Corp.
/Systems Administrator/

language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
territory!