Snort mailing list archives

Re: Config Question

From: "Lorine Ruotolo" <lori.ruotolo () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:54:11 -0500

For:

> Subnets are :   xx.xx.94.0/23
>                      xx.xx.72.0/23
>                      xx.xx.74.0/25
>                      xx.xx.74.128/25
>                      xx.xx.75.0/25
>                      xx.xx.75.128/26
>                      xx.xx.75.192/26

You can further summarize to:  [xx.xx.94.0/23,xx.xx.72.0/22]

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
To: James Jalbert <jjalbert () mail caribouschools org>
CC: Snort Users <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Config Question
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:29:05 -0400

James Jalbert wrote:
> I am looking to see if it is possible to configure one snort machine for
> many "Home" networks. I have 7 subnets that are the lan and wan for my
> location. I tried to configure snort with the var home_net set with the
> network address, but was unable to run snort after. For security reasons
> I will not post entire IP's but will post last sections, please tell me
> if I have done something wrong.
>
> Subnets are :   xx.xx.94.0/23
>                      xx.xx.72.0/23
>                      xx.xx.74.0/25
>                      xx.xx.74.128/25
>                      xx.xx.75.0/25
>                      xx.xx.75.128/26
>                      xx.xx.75.192/26
>
> Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Well, AFAIK, here's nothing intrinsically wrong with the above. However, I'd
have to assume you correctly built a home_net declaration that matched the
above. Given that you're having trouble running snort, it suggests the above is
not correct.

Can you post your home_net declaration from your snort.conf? Modified with the same censoring as above is fine, I'm looking for syntactic errors in format, not specific numbers. (Side note: Be aware this censoring of IPs only grants you
very little, if any, extra privacy.)

Can you post the output that occurs when you start snort manually from the
command line? Do this without any "service" or other init scripts. Call snort directly from the command-line with the appropriate parameters, Leave off any
-D parameters. For most folks, this would just be snort -c /etc/snort.conf.