Snort mailing list archives

packet content and signature unmatch

From: hchlai () netscape net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:31:50 -0400

Hi Snorters,

 I have 2 questions regarding sid:1811

  /etc/snort/rules/attack-responses.rules:alert tcp $HOME_NET 22 ->
$EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ATTACK-RESPONSES successful gobbles ssh exploit
uname"; flow:from_server,established; content:"uname";
reference:bugtraq,5093; reference:cve,2002-0390;
reference:cve,2002-0639; reference:nessus,11031; classtype:misc-attack;
sid:1811; rev:9;

  First of all, since ssh sessions are encrypted, I should never see a
packet content of "uname" in non-encrypted format. Am I missing
something fundamental in here or it's just a Monday morning?
  Secondly, this signature is recorded in 2 packets by BASE, but neither
packets nor their combine contents contain "uname" in it, so what
exactly triggered this signature? Many thanks!

 I am running BASE 1.2.5 and Snort 2.4.5

 HinSuk