Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort -> Barnyard -> Remote MySQL DB (mysql.sock error)

From: Dirk Geschke <dirk () geschke-online de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:19:53 +0200

Hi Dan,

Sorry for posting this in the snort-users forum but I have been unable
to find any help anywhere else.  I recently configured Snort and
Barnyard on a remote sensor.  I would like to log the alerts to a
central MySQL server.  I have configured everything correctly but when I
run Barnyard I get the following error:

Failed to connect to database (null):XXXXXXXX@(null)/(null): Can't
connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'
(2)
Fatal Error, Quitting..
Exiting

Any ideas?  MySQL server is not installed/running on this remote sensor
and I would like it to not have MySQL server.

check your configuration for the remote database server, it seems to
be missing...

The libmysqlclient tries to reach the server via a local unix socket,
so it assumes that the database is running on localhost. The line
...@(null)/(null) says the same, there are no values set for the
remote database so one on localhost is assumed.

Best regards

Dirk