Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2.6.1 and LOOOONG startup times plusmoreignore_scanners info

From: "John York" <YorkJ () brcc edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:01:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: James Lay [mailto:jlay () slave-tothe-box net]
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 11:17 AM
To: 'Snort'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] 2.6.1 and LOOOONG startup times
plusmoreignore_scanners info

And HOLY SMACKERS!  Ac-bnfa sure made a difference!  Tested
with that and
now snort is using 9% of memory, and init time was less then a minute!

HOLY SMACKERS indeed!  I was having similar problems--thought my snort
had gone into an infinite loop since it took so long to start.  ac-bnfa
made no sense to me, so I RTFM.  No help there, so in desparation I
RTFRL.  There I found this:
    * Smaller memory footprint pattern mattcher using Aho-Corasick,
      using NFA.  Use 'config detection: search-method ac-bnfa' to
      enable.  This will become the default pattern matcher in future
      releases.  Wu-Manhber has been deprecated (mwm).
Now life is good again (more or less.)
Thanks
John