Snort mailing list archives

Re: Throughput question, setup validation

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:00:08 -0400

Hi Jim,

I'm not familiar with the specs of the CPU you're using on your
sensor/bridge but since the traffic volume is pretty low I think
you'll do fine on almost any modern system.  Just make sure you set
your stream memcaps fairly high (in excess of 256MB, maybe more like
512MB) and you tune your rules so that you aren't burning a lot of
clock cycles looking for stuff that's never going to happen.

As for the distro to put it on, whatever you're comfortable with is
probably best because you can concentrate on the sensor software and
not have to spend a lot of time figuring out the underlying system.

        -Marty