Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alerting in near-real-time

From: David.Ryan () Quintiles com
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:55:50 +0100

Paul/Bamm,

Thanks for the details.  I'm working through the documentation and
*trying* my best to understand the model used.

Right now I am trying to work out what needs to be where in my
'distributed' model - I have a central mysql server which can receive
logs/alerts from a small number of snort probes.

I have added the sguil database to the mysql server.

I am shortly going to try getting the probes to log unified outout to the
sguil database.  Does this mean that I no longer need to log to the snort
database, or is this still required for other things like snortreport and
base.  Or do I just repoint the base config at the sguil database ?

Thanks,

David
=================================
David Ryan
IT Security Engineer, Global IT Security
Quintiles, Global IT - Infrastructure, QDUB

david.ryan () quintiles com
v:  +353-1-819-5186, GMT+0
m: +353-87-124-9108
=================================

"Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday () gmail com>
11/05/2007 12:31

"David.Ryan () quintiles com" <David.Ryan () quintiles com>
cc
snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject
Re: [Snort-users] Alerting in near-real-time

David,

You can easily be up and running in under ten minutes. As Bamm said, Sguil
will do most of the work for you on startup.

All you need to do is modify the configuration scripts to suit your
environment. See the install docs.

As for p0f, thats a quick install.

I wouldn't worry about SANCP for now (you will see reference to it in the
config files) you can easily add that functionality after you have seen
what Sguil has to offer.

If you have any problems you can get free premium support from the author
himself. Just visit #snort-gui on irc.freenode.net and ask for Bamm

;)