Snort mailing list archives

Re: CPU usage and bleeding-compromised.rules

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () bleedingthreats net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:28:52 +1000

Ya, thats a huge ruleset, and is having in some cases more of an impact
on performance than expected. Don't run it if your boxes are on the edge
of load.

That said though, I'm going to work to pair down the number of IPs in
those lists, go for more just the biggest offenders in each category...

Matt

James Lay wrote:
For what it's worth...

Using the new bleeding rulesset compromised rules makes my snort cpu usage
go from around 2% to a minimum constant of around 26%.  As I look at the
ruleset I can see why though..almost a 2 meg text file..yikes!

James

--
Matthew Jonkman
Bleeding Edge Threats