Snort mailing list archives

Re: Get one specific attack dump from snort dump file.

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:57:10 -0500

You can use Snort or tcpdump to read the pcap files back.

use the -r tag in order to read the contents of the file.

For example.  Snort -r snort_tcpdump.log

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:28:22AM -0200, it looks like Jorge Luiz CorrĂȘa sent me:
Hello World. This is my first post.

I have looked for in the last time a manner to get one specific attack
information from the snort dump file. So, I didn't find it. :/

For example, my snort is configured to gather packets on
snort_tcpdump.log and alerts on alert.log. When I see one alert in
alert.log, I need to get the packets from snort_tcpdump.log related to
this alert. Someone can help me? Do exist one possibility to do this?

For example, I need a system very similar to that present in Honeywall
CDROM (Honeynet Project). In this tool is possible to visualize the
occurrences of alerts. By clicking on alerts we can choose a 'decode
packets' option that show exactly the packets of this alert.

Is there an option like this on snort or tcpdump? I think this operation
is performed by a set os perl scripts on Honeywall tool.

Thank for all.
:)