Snort mailing list archives

Re: Strange portscan traffic with dest of 169.254.x.x

From: Aaron Giuoco <agiuoco () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:08:37 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for all of the comments.  I'm thinking about just suppressing those alerts to the 169.254.0.0/16 range.  The
other strange thing about this that, something I failed to mention in my original post, is the volume of these alerts.
It's not consistent across all of the machines.  Usually, there will be just one or two boxes out there that generate
300-400 of these types of alerts over a 24-hour period.  The next closest machine is usually generating between 20 and
50 alerts.  Then everything returns to normal.

For that reason, I think it might be something installed on those specific computers that is generating all of that
traffic.  The traffic is probably harmless, but now I'm curious.  So I'm off to chase the wild goose!
:-)

AG