Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging Reassembled Packets

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:20:35 -0400

snort is not intended to log full reassembled streams, it is intended to
detect intrusion attempts and log the relevant data associated with
those attempts. If you want full session logging you should use tcpdump.

Kamran Shafi wrote:
I notice that there is a show_rebuilt_packets option in steam5_global
configuration, which I have turned on but don't know if it is producing
anything. I run snort on some traffic collected on a web/dns/mysql server
using -r flag. The log shows that snort filters out the server's response
and keeps only the inbound traffic - I am not sure if this behaviour is
because of the stream 5 processor or else?

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>