Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.8.1 Release Candidate Now Available

From: Patrik Nordlén <patrik.nordlen () sentor se>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:14:25 +0100

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 16.18.26 Snort Releases wrote:
Hi everybody,

A release candidate version of Snort 2.8.1 is now available on
snort.org, at http://www.snort.org/dl/

Feature highlights:

* Support for target-based attribute tables
[...]

This feature seems VERY cool and a great step forward for Snort! I browsed
through the manual for 2.8.1rc and found some information on how the file
containing the attribute tables should be formatted - however I found no
further information on how to actually use this new functionality when
writing rules. I guess this will be added in the documentation before the
final 2.8 comes out, but could someone in the know shed some light on this
until then? Also, I'm curious as to whether this means all current rules will
soon be rewritten to use these attributes primarily.

Cheers,
Patrik