Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort only alert about traffic with an specific IP

From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:32:25 -0400

Most likely your system uses tcp checksum offloading. Disable checksum
checking and it will likely work as desired. You should not be
monitoring from your test machines, this would not occur if you were
monitoring traffic as it appears on the wire.

Berta Alcala wrote:
First of all, thank you very much for your replies!

I used Ethereal and I realised that I only see traffic that involves my
IP, although the interface is in promiscuous mode. I'm connected to a
switch so the problem is there.

But in spite of this, snort doesn't work properly. There are rules that
don't work for me, for example this rule (I downloaded it form the
official site):

alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"INFO FTP Bad login";
flow:from_server,established; content:"530 ";
pcre:"/^530\s+(Login|User)/smi"; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:491; rev:8;)

I wrote this other rule because the original one doesn't work for me
(original rule, sid:1991 in chat.rules). This rule doesn't work with
"flow" options, in other rules there aren't problems with "flow" options.

alert tcp any 1863 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"CHAT MSN Login"; flags:PA+;
content:"LoginTime"; classtype:policy-violation; sid:1000006; rev:1;)

And this other one is very similar and does not work:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 1863 (msg:"CHAT MSN logout"; flags:PA+;
content:"OUT"; classtype:policy-violation; sid:1000009; rev:1;)

I don't know what's wrong!!! It is very strange!!!! Because I'm trying
simple rules…