Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-2.8.2.1 and udp alerts

From: Alex <linux () vfemail net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:42:01 +0300

Stream5 sets both stream reassembly policy, and Flow. It enables you to
do a few things. Stream5 will allow you to reassemble  segmented traffic
and alert on its content. It will also allow that reassembly to be done
in a way that fits your environment (bsd, macos etc). A final feature of
Stream5 is that it enables the ability to alert on flow. So you can
write rules that use "flow: established, to_server" in your rules. Doing
so would restrict the rule to only alert on traffic from IP-port pairs
with an existing connection.

So, as i understand from your explanation, is better to set in snort.conf
preprocessor stream5_global: ... track_udp NO, in order to catch ANY UDP
traffic? I don't understand how to set Stream5 processor even after i read
README.stream5 to catch and alert excesive broadcasts requests.

I am very interested about broadcast traffic in general (not especially
related to UDP). In this case, is enough to leave default snort settings
unchanged or is REQUIRED to add some new rules?

Regards,
Alx

There are a few more advantages offered by stream5. For more details
check README.stream5 in the doc directory, or the snort manual.

Regards,
Keith

If you are only getting UDP events being raised by Snort, this means
one of two things.

No, i'm getting alerts on TCP, UDP, ICMP and so on...

If Snort isn't seeing TCP traffic,

it can see it.

so, what will be the difference regarding alerts or snort behaviour in
case when i'll enable UDP and ICMP in stream5 processor, like below:

preprocessor stream5_global: max_tcp 8192, track_tcp yes, \
track_udp yes, track_icmp yes

or what will be if i'll disable stream5 for all like below

preprocessor stream5_global: track_tcp no, \
track_udp no, track_icmp no

And finally, the main question:
- does snort detect/alert broadcast storms (layer 2 and layer 3 broadcast
storms) using my present rules/settings - i posted here all my snort.conf
file? If not, how can be snort configured to detect bcast storms in our
lan?

Regards,
Alx