Snort mailing list archives

Re: Detecting Packed Executables?

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:07:17 -0400

We've got sigs for Themida, WinUPack, FSG and RLPack in the emerging
ruleset. There are many more we could sig, but the research hasn't been
done yet.

These that we have are very effective.

If you're interested in helping out on the research I'd happily work
with you.

Matt

Tommy Cansanay wrote:
Has anybody successfully created signatures that detect packers?

I tried a simple content search where the sniffer sees the packed
executable, but Snort does not.  Tried several things, which included
Hex, pcre, used |03| (DNS search), etc, but no luck.
Doing some google searches, PE hunter could possibly do the trick, but
it requires re-compiling snort. I was wondering if there was an easier way.

Thanks

--
Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats