Snort mailing list archives

WEB-CLIENT Excel malformed FBI record - False positive?

From: Jesper Skou Jensen <jesper.skou.jensen () uni-c dk>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:51:16 +0200

Hi there,

I've recently deployed a passive Snort sniffer next a bunch of
webservers, and I'm getting quite a lot of "WEB-CLIENT Excel malformed
FBI record" reports. I can't quite figure out if it's false positives or
not.

I've configured the IP's of the webservers as $HOME_NET, but when I look in
"rules/web-client.rules"

it states
"alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any"

which I read as the $HOME_NET is the destination, BUT when I read the
Snort syslog message below, it looks like the "attack" originates from
my webserver. Is that a correct assumption?

(Timestamp and IPs have been changed to protect the innocent! :-)
Jul  7 13:37:00 sysloghost snort: [1:12256:1] WEB-CLIENT Excel malformed
FBI record [Classification: Attempted User Privilege Gain] [Priority:
1]: {TCP} 10.1.1.1:80 -> 10.2.2.2:1229

10.1.1.1 is the webserver
10.2.2.2 is some client

Can any of you guys enlighten me?